Call for applications for doctoral positions
We welcome applications from excellent graduates *, prepared to start as soon as possible, for participating research projects within the framework of the integrated Research Training Group in Particle Science and Technology. These positions (German public payscale TVL-E13) are to be located in Erlangen at selected institutes of the Departments of Chemical and Biological Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Mathematics, and Physics and, for the case of Project A02, Duisburg, at the NanoEnergieTechnikZentrum (NETZ). Doctoral dissertations will be evaluated according to the regulations of the appropriate faculties **. More details of the participating projects can be found here ***.
- You hold or expect to soon obtain a very good university degree (master’s or equivalent) in Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Applied Mathematics, Physics, Chemsitry or a closely related field
- You preferably have research or methodological experience relating to at least one CRC project
- You have a demonstrable ability to work both with a high level of independence and diligence but also you can present your ideas and results to an interdisciplinary team
- You are proficient in the English language; knowledge of the German language is welcome though not essential
You will need to copy your letter of motivation (maximum 4000 characters including spaces) into the online application form. This letter should include justification of your suitability for the CRC 1411 project(s) for which you are applying. Moreover, you will be requested to upload the following as a single pdf file during the online application process (see link below)
- Short (max. 2 page) CV listing your educational and vocational history, key skills
- Copy of your Master degree certificate (if not yet available, please send Bachelor degree instead) along with academic transcripts (with grades and rankings)
- A brief summary of your Master‘s thesis (max. 1 page)
- Two academic letters of recommendation (uploaded with your application or sent direct to us)
- For non-native speakers: English language proficiency certificate (if available)
- Publication list (where applicable)
The FAU is a member of “The Family in Higher Education Institutions” best practice club and aims to increase the number of women in scientific positions. Female candidates are therefore particularly encouraged to apply. In case of equal qualifications, candidates with disabilities will take precedence. For further information on equal opportunities see the relevant page on the CRC 1411 website and the pages of the FAU Office of Equality and Diversity.
Application and Admission Procedure
The application and admission procedure will be as follows:
- Submission of complete application by 31 January 2020 at the online application portal (see link below)
- Applications assigned to relevant CRC 1411 PIs (at least two)
- Shortlisted candidates interviewed
- CRC Board decides on admission and candidates are informed
Contact Regarding Applications
Application Submission (Doctoral Position)
* Students who will soon complete their Master’s (or equivalent) degree may also apply
** Note that faculties generally require candidates who have degrees deemed to be non-equivalent to the prerequisite Master’s degree to pass an equivalency examination (DE: Promotionseignungsprüfung).
*** Candidates will be assigned to projects according to their qualifications, availability and project requirements. In case of over-subscription and depending on available funds an alternative project may be offered.